According to Elementary’s announcement these are the new features you’ll get upon installing or upgrading to Freya beta 2:
New Features In Elementary OS Freya Beta 2
- Better support for Samba in Files
- New Calculator & Videos apps
- UI improvements in Calendar, Photos, System Settings, Slingshot & more
- Notifications & Firewall settings
- Better and more discoverable multitasking.
- Updated 3rd party apps (including Geary, Simple Scan, Document Viewer & more)
- Updated development libraries (including Gtk 3.14)
- Security and Stability improvements
- UEFI/SecureBoot support
- Tons of stylesheet and icon changes and fixes
- And way more other stuff than is possibly reasonable to list here ;p
When I installed it on a virtual environment just to test it out, I’ve also encountered a new / revamped screenshot utility which works pretty well and of course blends in quite well with the rest of the desktop environment.
One thing to note though, is that changes included here aren’t yet final, as this is just a beta version, things may change in the future though not much is likely to:
“The next step along the way is RC1. This is mostly a cleanup and details release.”
The last thing that should be mentioned with regards to this release, was requested by Elementary team to be stressed out – a disclaimer:
This is still a work in progress and may have some minor issues along it, hence it is not recommended to install the beta version unless you’re willing to get your hands a little dirty.
So try to keep that in mind please. ;)