Who says there aren’t any worthwhile open source games you can get for free? SuperTuxKart (STK) is here to defy the convention that in order for a game to be good it has to be proprietary.
In its latest release STK has brought us many new features, including a new and better rendering engine which dramatically improves graphics, among other enhancements it has.
So, let’s take a moment to go over the highlights of this release, shall we?
Highlights of STK 0.9
- Fully shader-based rendering engine called “Antarctica”
- New tracks Cocoa Temple and Gran Paradiso
- Graphical improvements to many other tracks
- New karts Amanda, Gavroche, Sara (as wizard and racer)
- Improved tux, adiumy, Suzanne and Xue.
- Online login which allows to:
- connect with friends and see when they are playing
- vote for addons
- collect online achievements
- Different kart physics
- In-game Grand Prix editor
- Random Grand Prix generation
- Achievement system
Check out the video demo:
As you can see, this release is a major overhaul over its predecessor.
However, as mentioned earlier this month “with better graphics also comes greater requirements – now on, OpenGL 3 is a requirement.”
Download & Install
SuperTuxKart is available to install on all three major platforms: Linux, Windows and Mac. (and a couple others as well)
If you wish to play STK, you may download the corresponding version according to your platform by clicking the button below.
Note that on some Linux distributions it may have or (in the near future) will be available inside of the default repository, so it’s recommended to check whether you can install it from the distro repo prior to downloading it directly.